Avoid Sleeping During Class
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Anonymous, Eng, Jonathan and 28 others
People pursue higher education because they want to have a good job/career and live a better quality of life. Education is a tool that will help us reach our goals and have a successful life. Unfortunately, not every subject is interesting to us and we tend to get bored while studying and listening in class, even to the point where we may give up on it. Most students try hard to refrain from going to sleep during class, but almost everyone has fallen asleep in class at some point.
Let's face it, when you get bored, you may end up doodling/sketching, daydreaming and perhaps even falling asleep. The fact that you are reading this wiki means you care enough to want to change all that. This wiki will empower you with techniques to stay focused and avoid falling asleep during class.
- 1 Do's and Don'ts to Avoid Sleeping in Class
- 2 Things to Do Before Going to School to Avoid Sleeping
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 3.1 How to keep my mind engaged and avoid sleeping while learning in class?
- 3.2 Prevent sleep in class, how to prevent that?
- 3.3 How do I avoid falling asleep in class?
- 3.4 Is there any eatable tips to avoid sleep?
- 3.5 I feel It is becoming tough to focus, what should I do?
- 3.6 Is there any side affects if I use wet cloth to avoid sleep?
- 3.7 I'm studying IT in my 2nd year. I want to avoid sleeping inside the class room?
- 3.8 How to avoid sleepiness during the lectures?
- 3.9 Feeling sleepy in morning sessions?
- 3.10 Sleeping in an online training?
- 3.11 How do I stay awake in class? I always find myself in a lecture hangover?
- 3.12 What should I do to prevent sleeping in class hours?
- 3.13 Why I am totally different from others?
- 3.14 Disadvantage of sleeping during lectures?
- 3.15 I am getting distracted during lessons by any means?
- 3.16 How to work hard and manage time?
- 3.17 I am a college student, I am sleeping in classrooms while teaching?
- 3.18 Who is John Cena? What does he do for a living?
- 3.19 I have exams after two weeks finals, and I want to prepare through out the night?
- 3.20 Which involves in chemical change?
- 4 Comments
Do's and Don'ts to Avoid Sleeping in Class
- 1Sit Properly.Sitting properly will make sure your blood circulates well and relax you, which will prevent you from feeling sleepy. When you are seated properly, there are fewer chances that you will be sleepy since you are in a good position. If you are not seated properly and you position yourself lying in the chair then you will probably be sleepy. Sitting properly requires a few steps:Advertisement
- You need to straighten your back.
- Position your feet on the ground.
- Place your hands on the desk.
- Keep your head upright as much as possible.
- 2Stay Focused.While the professor is teaching/lecturing, you should focus on what he/she is discussing. Disregard other matters. You should keep yourself listening and understanding the lessons the professor is teaching. Be active in your thinking. Ask yourself questions about what your teacher is discussing. Compare what your teacher is saying to what you already know. When you are using a book in class, you should read it as the professor is discussing, as it will keep you focused.Advertisement
- 3Take Notes.When you are active in the learning process you will not fall asleep. The reason you are falling asleep is because you are not tuned into what your teacher is saying. You need to be engaged, and taking notes is a great way to do that. These notes don't need to be 100% complete, just jot down the points that are interesting to you, and any questions that come to your mind. Then you will have questions to ask later which will increase your engagement in the class.
- 4Find Enjoyment.You need to enjoy the class discussions and not think that the subject is boring. Most students have at least one subject they find boring. To overcome this try making up a game in your head of guessing what the professor is going to say next. Take a word and make a mark on a piece of paper each time he says the word. If you can, participate with another student and see who guessed the closest number of times before class. This will make you not only pay attention for that keyword, but also give you a sense of anticipation.
- 5Participate.You should actively participate in the recitations and discussions. You should also ask some questions for clarification if you don't understand some of the lessons. Participating and engaging in class activities will decrease the chances of you falling asleep.
- 6Move Your Limbs.Massage the palms of your hands and apply a bit of pressure on strategic points that will make you feel the pressure and make you more alert. Also, do some pressing on the inside of your elbows, and make circular motions with your fingers. A little rubbing at the back of your neck might also help. By this time, you should be wide awake. Do all these things subtly, without catching the attention of your teacher or your classmates.
- 7Sit Closer.Ask you teacher to move you closer to the front if you have assigned seating. Getting closer means you are more likely to be involved in the class. It is amazing how proximity to what is going on tends to keep you engaged and makes you pay attention. You will also be aware that the rest of the class can see you and no one ever wants to be caught sleeping in the front row by everyone behind them!
- 8Refrain From Daydreaming.You need to listen, focus, and be attentive in class. You should not be doing something such as drawing, sketching or any other thing that will distract you from the lesson. If you are not listening, then you are not focused on the lesson, making you feel lost in the topic.
- 9Feel The Pinch.If you feel like you are about to sleep then you can pinch your palm. Pinching your palm will make you feel alert since your receptors will act instantly.
Things to Do Before Going to School to Avoid Sleeping
- 1Nutrition.If you have eaten sugary or processed food before class, after the initial sugar rush, you'll feel sleepy. You need to eat foods with protein before going to class, to avoid becoming sleepy. Protein-rich foods are energy boosters, as well as fruits and nuts, are great for maintaining your energy level.Advertisement
- 2Exercise.In the morning, before going to school, exercise to make your body more attentive and get your blood flowing. Stretching, jogging and warm-ups are all good for waking you up, oiling your joints and promoting a high level of energy.
- 3Sleep.If you do not get a good night's sleep you will absolutely feel sleepy while you are in the class. Once you settle down and quietly listen to anything, including your teacher, falling asleep is natural, especially if you haven't had enough sleep the night before. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.
- 4Cold Water.Washing your face with cold water will wake you up for at least 15 minutes. Also you will likely need to go to the washroom to do this, which means walking and getting your body going. This will also wake you up. Of course the teacher may not like you leaving while he or she is teaching, but falling asleep is even worse.
- 5Be Prepared.Being prepared, and already knowing the material, will make you feel like engaging in the subject, the professor and class discussions, which will prevent you from falling asleep.
Questions and Answers
How to keep my mind engaged and avoid sleeping while learning in class?
- 1Drink water.Have a bottle of cold water ready when you feel like dozing off in the classroom. The cold water will wake you up and keep you refreshed.Advertisement
- 2Eat an apple.Apples can be a source of energy and hence can make you feel energetic in class.
- 3Go to the bathroom or go outside.You can seek the permission of your instructor to go to the bathroom or outside for a few minutes. Walking around or going to the bathroom, and the walk back, can wake you up and prevent you from sleeping in class.
- 4Take notes.Note taking is a good way to keep yourself awake in class. Focus on the lesson at hand, rather than on how much you want to sleep.
- 5Sit at the front.Just like taking notes, focusing on the lesson by sitting at the front, will help keep you awake. Aside from that, you do not want to be yelled at by your professor if he catches you sleeping in his class.
See more questions like this: How to avoid sleeping during most of the place?
Prevent sleep in class, how to prevent that?
I Am always sleeping during the class time
You are bored with the subject matter. Go to the library and do some of your own research on the subject, and come up with some questions. Ask those questions either in class or to the teacher directly. In no time, you will develop an interest in the subject and you won't be falling asleep. Most people are just too lazy to engage. Find a way to get interested.
See more questions like this: How to stop sleeping in the class
How do I avoid falling asleep in class?
Sometimes in class I will feel drowsy and I will just sink down in my chair and close my eyes a little. Follow the steps provided in this VisiHow article to keep alert during class.
See more questions like this: How to avoid sleep during my tuition class?
Is there any eatable tips to avoid sleep?
Whether eatable things like chewing gum,fruit juices are really helpful to avoid sleep?
Your question sounds funny but the answer is ABSOLUTELY ! When I am driving late at night, I start to doze off sometimes. I have found chewing keeps me awake. I often get a cup of ice and chew the ice to stay awake. It works really well. Chewing gum works to a lesser degree because it does not include that ice cold jolt an ice cube provides. However, for some people this keeps their brains engaged enough to avoid falling asleep.
See more questions like this: Hi, I can't avoid my sleep. What to do?
I feel It is becoming tough to focus, what should I do?
I study in the university, sometimes I feel sleepy in class and feel too much laziness, I try to stay focused on the teacher, but inside I feel It is becoming tough to focus what should I do?
Follow the tips provided in this VisiHow article as well as before class take a quick brisk walk. You are most likely already walking to and from different buildings for classes, however increase the pace. This will get your heart rate going and release energy boosting endorphins.
See more questions like this: At some periods I feel sleepy. I just want to get rid of this problem?
Is there any side affects if I use wet cloth to avoid sleep?
How to avoid sleep during class time please give me a solution
There are no side effects if you use a wet cloth in class to stay awake and in fact it is a great solution if it works for you. Make sure the cloth is cold to help stimulate you.
I'm studying IT in my 2nd year. I want to avoid sleeping inside the class room?
Help me to avoid sleeping inside the class room.
If the rooms are air conditioned and/or filled with humming computers, the rhythmic tapping of keys, and quiet students, and white noise of the air conditioner, all work to lull you to sleep like an electric lullaby. To combat this you need to:
- 1Make sure you are getting enough sleep at night.Eight hours is just an average. Some people need more or less than others. If you wake up in the morning and you are sluggish or groggy, add another 45 minutes to your sleep cycle.
- 2Make sure you are only using your bedroom or dorm for sleep.Some people find it difficult to disconnect if they spend too much time working or studying in a place they are suppose to relax. It can create a tense environment that leads to problems falling asleep and restlessness. If you need to study, go to the library or another room. Admittedly, this is all more difficult if you live in a dorm, but there are lots of study places on campus.
- 3Read ahead.If you are finding it hard to stay awake in a particular class and are aware of the content of the day's lesson go ahead and read it. Make a note of any questions you have, and ask for clarification once the teacher gets to them. This way, you'll have to pay attention and wait for the right moment to ask your questions. At least if you do fall asleep, you will already know the material.
- 4Make yourself uncomfortable.Who can sleep if they aren't comfortable? If you are too cold don't put on a bulky warm jacket, instead choose a lighter jacket or sweater. This way if you do fall asleep you won't sleep long because you won't remain at a comfortable temperature.
- 5Exercise.It's not only good for your body it's also good for your mind. Exercise will help give you an energy boost without the crash that comes after drinking coffee or eating sweets. It will also help increase your focus.
- 6Make sure you protect your eyes.Eyestrain may lead to feeling sleepy and contribute to you zoning out. How are you going to pay attention or get any work done if your eyes are burning from looking at a computer screen for too long? Wear computer glasses to help minimize eyestrain, and if you wear glasses �" wear them.Advertisement
See more questions like this: How can I avoid sleeping while studying my lesson
How to avoid sleepiness during the lectures?
I am an engineering student from Sri Lanka...frequently I sleep 6 hours per a day. During the lectures I completely doze through the first half of the lecture I am studying, but rest of the half I feel sleepy.
Follow the steps provided in this VisiHow article so you can stay awake longer during class.
See more questions like this: Sleepiness in maths lectures is common?
Feeling sleepy in morning sessions?
Though I like the subject, somewhere, while reading a tough concept I go to sleep. Can you tell me a way to control that even though I go out, walk and come back, I get into sleep mode in a couple of minutes. Thank You
Chew something like gum or drink cold water to remain focused and awake. Make sure to exercise in the morning before your classes to help your body wake up. Also make sure that you are getting enough sleep the night before.
See more questions like this: Feeling sleepy in physics class, why I don't know
Sleeping in an online training?
Training at 10 p.m. so how to control my sleep to be awake
Since the training is online you can try these suggestions, as it will not disrupt others:
- Stand Up.
- Lightly jog in place every 20 minutes.
- Apply a cold cloth to the back of your neck.
How do I stay awake in class? I always find myself in a lecture hangover?
I feel like I get an adequate amount of sleep and I eat a sizable breakfast but I still fall asleep in class. I am quite active at the beginning of class, but in the middle somewhere, I always daze off and pick back up in the end. Water has not had good success and gum has not helped either.
Your sizable breakfast may be the culprit to your sleepiness. Make sure that you are not consuming too many carbohydrates and consuming a sugary breakfast, which will give you a feeling of sleepiness within a few hours of consuming.
See more questions like this: If you can't eat in class, are their any other ways to stay awake?
What should I do to prevent sleeping in class hours?
I sleep at night time very late because of homework, then I wake up very early in the morning because I have a class at 7 AM.
Unfortunately you are not getting enough sleep. Create a new study habit system and schedule your homework more efficiently to aim for 8 hours of sleep. Perhaps a mid-afternoon nap might help.
See more questions like this: How to improve concentration during class hours?
Why I am totally different from others?
Everyone studies a lot to get involved but in my case I just need to study only once. Yet I can't beat them in scoring marks, why? I don't like studying which is just restricted to books, I want to discover or invent or study in details about everything. Is there any particular reason for this. The main thing, I am studying medicine, I don't know what to become exactly but want to be a psychiatrist
You learn through kinetically, which means that you need to be a participant in the learning process rather than just an observer. Join a study group as it will help you have more interaction and you will study more effectively resulting in higher marks.
Disadvantage of sleeping during lectures?
I am searching for above for my thesis. My friend and I cannot search for more info in internet
The disadvantages of sleeping in class are listed above but the biggest disadvantage is you are not retaining important information. Missing five minutes of a lecture can cost you on your next test.
I am getting distracted during lessons by any means?
I want to concentrate during lessons
Please refer to the steps in this VisiHow article to avoid getting distracted in class.
How to work hard and manage time?
I go to ground in the morning and I sleep in the class due to tiredness. How to avoid sleeping in class
Follow the tips listed in this article as well as prioritize your schedule to get more sleep each night.
I am a college student, I am sleeping in classrooms while teaching?
I am sleeping while lecturers and teaching classes. I have tried: I sleep at 11:30 pm. I think it was caused by: Less sleeping hours
If you are going to bed at 11:30 p.m. you should be sleeping until at least 7:30 a.m. or you are not getting enough sleep.
Who is John Cena? What does he do for a living?
I don't know who he is. My friends talk about him a lot.
John Cena is a professional wrestler in the WWE as well as an actor.
I have exams after two weeks finals, and I want to prepare through out the night?
I want to focus and study at night!. I have tried: Yes. I think it was caused by: Over sleeping
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Which involves in chemical change?
A.) Separating hydrogen and oxygen from water. B.) Distilling pure water from salt water. C.) evaporating sugar from sweetened water/liquid. D.) filtering sand from water
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: Nuance, myusername, jrules3x