Answer the Interview Question Tell Me About Yourself
Edited by Hotelier, nitid, Eng, Anonymous and 1 other
Hello and thank you for watching VisiHow. Today's tutorial will be discussing some ways that you can answer the interview question, "Tell me about yourself." One way to think of this question is that we are setting the tone for the rest of the interview. Along with "What's your biggest weakness?", this is possibly the most confusing question for many people because you never know what the interviewer wants to hear.
- 1One thing that we should try to avoid doing is going line by line through our "CV" (curriculum vitae).Assume that the person conducting the interview has already seen the "CV." They are going to be talking to the interviewee about it. When they ask us about ourselves, they want to know about us. They already know what the "CV" says on paper.Advertisement
- 3We can, as one technique, use the "Present-Past-Future" format.This is where we would discuss what we are doing right now, what we did immediately before it, and why the change from the past to the present. Also, what are we hoping to get by going from where we are now to the job we are interviewing for.
- 5We can do this largely by smiling.Make the interviewer really feel that we are very motivated and that we really want the job, and you are very excited. Most of the decision will be based on personality in very, very many jobs. There are some instances where qualifications, skills, and education absolutely do matter, but many times we will be up against other people who have the same qualifications, skills, and education and in this type of scenario it will come down to who is a better fit for the organization. A lot of hiring managers are hiring for personality after they've determined that we can do the job.
- 6This does conclude today's presentation on how to answer the interview question, "Tell me about yourself." If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please leave them in the space below.Advertisement
Video: Answer the Interview Question Tell Me About Yourself
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: Anonymous, Eng, nitid