Android App Security CM Security vs Avast! Mobile Security vs Kaspersky Internet Security ... and 7 more
Edited by Chris Stipe, Maria
With the countless times that we have seen so far in the headlines about hacking, ransomware attacks, and malware, choosing the best Android App for security might feel like a tedious task in finding one that is actually trustworthy to keep your Android device secure and safe. Thankfully though, you have come to the right place, as we've personally handpicked the 10 best Android Apps for security that will provide you with the comprehensive protection you need to feel safe knowing your personal data is safe and secure.
But, before we dive in those 10 security apps, do you really need one for your Android device to keep your personal data safe and secure? That's the big debate going on now about whether or not Android security apps are even necessary.
While some claim that Android malware is such common threat that without the necessary adequate protection, you are certain to get your device infected, where as others say that as long as you are careful in what you do and download online, you will be safe.
The truth is, it's somewhere in between as Android apps for security go beyond just anti-virus protection providing added security through anti-phishing apps and firewalls apps.
Here are those 10 Android apps for security to give you the added protection you need to keep your online information safe and your devices secure.
Method 1: CM Security
If you're looking for a security app that packs a whole range of powerful security features and is also free, then check out the CM Security app - as long as you don't mind putting up with ads. The good news is, you can get rid of the ads though for $0.99 / month, making it a very inexpensive investment. After all, don't you want to feel at ease knowing your Android device is secure and protected from the various threats out there?
- Equipped with the certified #1 antivirus engine that detects 100% of viruses and malware by customized scan and then removes any viruses and malware found.
- Junk-clean feature automatically detects junk files (so they don't continuously fill up much-needed space) and frees storage when needed.
- Protect apps privacy with the intruder selfie feature that automatically takes a picture of whoever is using your device (if the password entered is wrong) and notifies you immediately via email.
- App is free to download but contains ads. In-app purchases also available.
- Remove ads costs $0.99 / month.
- CM Security can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 2: Avast! Mobile Security
If you want to protect yourself against viruses and malware that cause pop-ups and unwanted ads, then go with the Avast Mobile Security app - the world's most trusted free antivirus app for Android. Get alerted when you install spyware and adware apps that violate your privacy by sending your personal data to their servers. The app also allows you to secure your devices against phishing attacks from email, phone calls, infected websites or SMS messages.
- Virus and malware scanner automatically scans for infected/dangerous apps and Trojans upon first use.
- Scans and blocks malware-infected links, as well as trojans, adware, and spyware (for privacy and safe Web browsing).
- WiFi security that lets you check the security of each network and email, browse and make payments wherever you are.
- App is free to download.
- Premium features available at either $ 1.99 - monthly subscription or $ 7.99 - yearly subscription.
- Avast! Mobile Security can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 3: Kaspersky Internet Security
Being a well-known and established security and antivirus software for the computer, Kaspersky Internet Security for Android brings a whole lot of that protection to your mobile device. What does that mean for you? That means you get all kinds of security features to keep your Android device protected including antivirus, anti-theft, and anti-phishing features.
- Antivirus solution that scans for viruses, malware, spyware, and Trojans using a background check to protect your vulnerable devices against digital threats.
- Use the App Lock feature to add a secret code to access your private messages, photos, and more.
- Find My Phone allows you to track and find your Android phone or tablet if it's lost or stolen.
- App is free to download.
- Kaspersky Internet Security can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 4: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
One of the world's best and most popular anti-malware technology has now gone mobile! Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile will protect your phone or tablet from malware, unauthorized surveillance, and infected apps. With its simple to use and easy to navigate user interface, and a wide array of features, it's one of our favorites in this list. Wherever you are, wherever you go, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's powerful anti-malware and anti-spyware technology will protect your Android device.
- Automatically recognizes security vulnerabilities in your Android device's settings and makes recommendations on how to close those holes.
- Identifies what your applications are doing, and which private information is being accessed, so you can control who knows and what they know.
- Anti-malware/spyware automatically scans when files or apps are accessed (real-time) or only when activated manually (on-demand).
- App is free to download.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 5: AVG Antivirus Security
Do you want to keep your personal data safe? How about protecting your Android phone or tablet from harmful viruses, malware, spyware, and scamware? Then check out the AVG AntiVirus Security app. It comes packed with all kinds of security features including phone locator, task killer, app lock, call blocker, WiFi Scanner / Analyzer / Inspector and picture vault to help you from threats to your privacy and online identity.
- Scan apps, games and files with our dual-engine antivirus and remove malicious content.
- Hide private photos in a password-protected Vault to prevent others from snooping on your memories.
- Identifies insecure device settings and advises how to fix them.
- App is free to download. Premium version available for $11.99 USD.
- AVG Antivirus Security can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 6: McAfee Mobile Security
If you want to protect your Android device while enhancing its performance, then consider trying out the McAfee Mobile Security app. With award winning features like Antitheft, Find Device, App Privacy Protection, Antivirus, and more, you can rest assured knowing that your personal information will be secure from all the online threats. McAfee's Android app provides you with the level of features you would come to expect from a premium brand.
- Antivirus protection that scans for malicious code from files, SMS, SD card, apps and Internet downloads. Real-time detection of malware including Ransomware.
- The CaptureCam feature takes a snapshot of the person holding your lost device and emails you the photo along with the device location.
- Track Data Usage: set data limits, monitor usage, and bust data-hogging apps.
- App is free to download. Premium subscription service available for $29.99 USD / year.
- McAfee Mobile Security can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 7: Norton Security Antivirus
Norton Security & Antivirus is the all-in-one mobile security and virus protection app for your smartphone or tablet. The app is designed to protect your Android device against threats such as malicious apps, theft or loss, and websites designed to steal your information and money. Norton's best mobile anti virus for Android puts you in control of your mobile experience.
- Scan and remove apps that have malware, spyware, or an Android virus that can harm or slow your device.
- Safe Search lets you see a website's safety and shopping rating for all of your search results.
- Automatically saves your device's location when the battery is low.
- App is free to download. Premium subscription service also available (includes 30-day free trial).
- Norton Security Antivirus can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 8: Sophos Free Antivirus and Security
If you are looking for a security app that comprehensively protects your Android device and your privacy without impacting performance or battery life, then check out the Sophos Free Antivirus and Security app. With up-to-the-minute intelligence from SophosLabs, apps are automatically scanned for malware to protect you from data loss and unexpected costs. You can even remotely lock or wipe your device to safeguard your data if your device is lost or stolen.
- Scan apps for malicious or inappropriate content as you install them.
- Send SMS commands for Wipe, Lock, Alarm, Locate, Message to the finder, Reset passcode.
- Malware definitions are updated at least once a day to keep you protected.
- App is free to download.
- Sophos Free Antivirus and Security can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 9: Trend Micro Mobile Security & Antivirus
If you want to enjoy your digital life safely, then look no further than the Trend Micro Mobile Security & Antivirus app. With over 30 years of Internet security leadership, Trend Micro delivers 99.9% malicious app detection so you can relax and feel safe knowing your digital life is always secure. The app safeguards against ransomware, malicious apps, fraudulent websites, and identity theft. And, if your device goes missing, it secures your data and privacy by allowing you to find, lock, or erase the data on that device.
- Protects against ransomware, fake banking, shopping, and financial apps.
- Helps prevent identity theft and blocks dangerous links in messaging apps including WhatsApp.
- App lock to prevent unauthorized access to device settings and chosen apps
- App is free to download. Premium version also available.
- Trend Micro Mobile Security & Antivirus can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Method 10: Lookout
Looking for an all-in-one security app to protect your device and personal data? Then the Lookout app is one you might want to consider. This all-in-one security app protects your device, your data and your identity with powerful mobile security and identity theft protection. While the free version only gives you app security and phone location features, the premium version provides you the extra protection you need with features protection from Web browsing, privacy overview of your apps and other powerful protection/security features. And the premium version is only about $2 USD / month, making it very inexpensive to invest in keeping your digital presence online safe and secure.
- Continuous, over-the-air protection from viruses, malware, adware, and spyware.
- System Advisor feature checks your device for root detections to make sure the operating system is working properly.
- Locate & Scream feature will map the location of your lost or stolen device and make it sound an alarm - even when it is on silent!
- App is free to download. Lookout Premium Plus service also available for about $2 USD / month.
- Lookout can be downloaded from the Google Play Store for Android devices.