Add a Meta Description Tag in HTML5 to Improve SEO
Edited by Grimm, Amanda, Eng, Anonymous
You're watching VisiHow. In this tutorial, we are going to show you how to use the meta description tag. This is a very important tag for your HTML5 documents. It is interpreted by all web browsers as an indication of what your website is about. Let's get started, and we'll explain more as we go.
- 10Then the browser sees the page title.This tells the browser what to display in the bar or tab for the page. To learn more, check out our tutorial on adding the head and title attributes to an HTML5 document. After this, we need to add a meta tag that gives the browser a description of what our site is about.
- 13Add two spaces using the space bar on the keyboard.Because this code is nested in our head section, it needs to be indented to match our other similarly nested code, namely, our meta charset and title tags. To learn more about formatting code, go to our tutorial about formatting HTML5 code for easy reading and editing.
- 17Add the content.What we want to do with the content is give something descriptive that's not too long. It's okay to add a little bit of branding and a few keywords, but we don't want to go overboard. Add one space by tapping the space bar one time. In our case, we have entered in, " content="A video tutorial on getting started with HTML5, by VisiHow. See it. Do it.">". Note the one space before "content". Our content says that this page is a video tutorial, and then that it is about getting started with HTML5. It also says that it is by VisiHow, and includes a little branding after that, which is "See it. Do It." Some people may argue that this isn't necessarily best practice. However, VisiHow is a brand. It's here to help, and we want to let people know that, and become a trusted brand. In our opinion, a little branding isn't bad, as long as it isn't overdone. Now we have our meta name description set up.
- 23This concludes our tutorial on how to set up the meta name tag for your HTML5 page so that it helps improve your SEO.Thanks for choosing VisiHow. If you have questions about this or other topics, do please let us know in the section below. Otherwise, have a great day, and we'll see you in our next tutorial.Advertisement
Video: Add a Meta Description Tag in HTML5 to Improve SEO
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Software
Recent edits by: Eng, Amanda, Grimm