18 Sure Signs He Is Dangerously Obsessed with You
Edited by Donna, Eng, Anonymous
It really does feel nice to have an admirer in your life. It is no secret women thrive on lots of love and attention. It is also really true that sometimes those first dates that you thought were one-night stands really do turn into lovers and husbands. However, it is all too common these days for a woman to meet a guy and then have him become dangerously obsessed with her.
This often happens at the point of rejection, whether that is after the first date or after a few years of being together but it can happen at any point during the relationship. Jealousy and insecurity are often part of a stalker's personality, and often the stalker is simply not right in the head or aware of what they are doing because they have been taught that possessive behavior is part of a romantic experience.
The Statistics About Stalking In the US
Obsession often leads to stalking according to as study done at Colorado State University and published on their Women and Gender Advocacy Center website. One in 6 women will be the victim of an obsessed stalker in her life. Two-thirds of these stalking incidents will be by a current or former intimate partner.
In some demographics, the danger of being stalked by an dangerously obsessed man is higher. One in 6 white women, 1 in 7 Hispanic women and 1 in 5 black women will experience stalking in their lifetime. Indigenous women are most at risk with 1 out of 3 having to deal with a dangerously obsessed male.
One way to avoid getting involved with a stalker is to know the behaviors that signify that you are dealing with one in the first place and take prompt steps to practice avoidance of him.
Signs He is Dangerously Obsessed With You
- 1He bombs you with messages after one meeting.It is normal to get one message or a Facebook request after one meeting but it is not normal to be love-bombed by scores of text messages or calls in a desperate attempt to contact you. He also may expect you to answer his messages right away and become very upset if you do not return his messages within seconds. It is the insistence that he must know where you are all at times that is possessive and unhealthy.Advertisement
- 2He has no sense of personal boundaries.His comments in public or on social media might be inappropriately intimate or premature or suggest that you have an intimacy or connection that is just not there. He may even lie or imply that he is with you or that you have an intimacy or past together that does not exist.Advertisement
- 3He is clingy, insecure and refuses to leave your side.If he sticks to your side when you run into him at events and prevents others from having a conversation with you or displays jealousy, then you have a stalker on your hands. He may express resentment if you talk to others and may even address others who try to talk to you in a way that is intended to shoo them away so he can have your company all to yourself.p
- 4He constantly compares you to an impossible ideal.Many dangerously obsessed men expect you to live up to an expectation that they have in their mind and when you don't live up to that image of perfection or disappoint them in any way, they become very upset and even seek revenge.
- 5He compliments you but is extremely critical of you at the same time.This is an attempt on his part to make you feel insecure so that you have the feeling that you need him. He may have studied you, looking for weaknesses and decide to play on them in order to make you feel like you need him for advice or approval.
- 6He spies on you every chance that he gets.You may get the feeling you are being watched every time you go out the door or you may be aware that he has posted pictures or sent photos of you when you were not aware of his presence. Most stalkers are voyeurs, but if you catch them doing something like, watching you from his parked car near your house, he will tell you that it is just a coincidence.
- 7He misrepresents his familiarity with you to your family and friends.He may tell others he is your boyfriend in order to force you to recognize him or to convince them to give information about you. He might also speak to you as if you already have a life together and say things like "I am looking forward to having Thanksgiving with your family even if you have not made any such plans."
- 8He arranges coincidences to prove that there is a soul mate connection between you.He may turn up all the time where you are and then try to use the "chance meetings" as proof that you belong together. He may also buy you gifts, that coincidentally, are your favorite things, without him ever having told you so. This is evidence that he may have been doing some research on you somehow, by lurking on Facebook or talking to your friends.
- 9He tries to ingratiate his way into your life by being overly helpful.If you even casually mention that you are going somewhere he is the guy who will offer you a drive there, even if you don't need it. No matter what you are doing, cooking, cleaning or going shopping, he will always offer to be of assistance so he can spend more time in your company. The more time he can spend in your company, the more he feels he can control you and the events around you.
- 10He does not understand that No Means No! You might request that he stop contacting you but he continues to past the requests of yourself, other people in your life, the police, a restraining order and other measures you may have taken for protection.
- 11He becomes angry or violent if you reject him.Often he will threaten the object of desire in order to act out his controlling behavior and desire for vengeance. This type of behaviour necessitates and immediate call to the police.
- 12He threatens to hurt himself if you leave.This is a form of emotional blackmail designed to involve you in his life by making you feel guilty. Any threat of harm to himself or to you should also be called into the police, immediately.
- 13He breaks into your house and waits for you.This is an extremely dangerous situation that requires immediate assistance from the police. Even if you have given him the key because he is an ex, he should not be allowed to violate your privacy.
- 14He keeps insisting that you are his soul mate.He will talk about your eventual union as a couple as if it is inescapable fate and meant to be and may even warn you that there could be dire consequences if you refuse to be with him.
- 15He assumes your identity.Many stalkers are confused as to who they are and will act out their obsession with you by pretending to be you. This can be as simple as opening up fake social media accounts with your name or even actually breaking into your home to steal items of your clothing so he can dress up as you.
- 16He physically stalks you by doing everything that you do.If you join a yoga class, he joins a yoga class. If he knows you walk your dog in the park at four o'clock every day, then he just happens to be there. He might also claim to know friends of yours that he does not really know and he might shadow you on social media sites, liking everything that you do and joining events and groups that you do.
- 17He has a history of mental illness or addiction.Men with these afflictions tend to be more prone to the sado-masochistic and codependent tendencies that lead to unhealthy obsessive behaviour.
- 18He has a history of stalking and harassing other women.Often a stalker has a number of victims and looking into his past can sometimes reveal that you are part of an old pattern. Do some research about how his relationships with other women ended and whether they were violent or not.Advertisement
Finally it is important for you to use your intuition as it will rarely lie to you about sensing someone who means you harm.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Relationships
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna