13 Best Dating Sites to Find a Shy Guy
Edited by Kathy McGraw, Eng, Jay
Dating websites and smartphone dating apps, oh my! How is a girl who just wants a sweet, shy boyfriend of her own supposed to navigate the overwhelming sea of choices available to her? Internet dating is a welcome avenue for those shy, introverted types who would otherwise find it difficult to meet girls like you. We've scoured the Internet and come up with a list of dating apps and websites we think would be awesome for finding your socially awkward sweetheart.
In the not so distant past, online dating had a stigma attached to it; after all, who would choose to be matched with someone online unless they couldn't get a date in person? While most people still meet in person, online dating has become more acceptable in recent years. And for introverts, it might provide the entreé to meeting their future partner without the angst that comes with walking up to complete strangers and starting a conversation.
- 1Shypassions.com is a niche dating site that caters to shy people. The premise is that it should be easier for shy folks to connect with others if they know that the other people are just as shy as they are. It lets you select levels of shyness, such as mild shyness and extreme shyness as well as mental disorders such as panic disorder and social anxiety disorder.Shypassions.Advertisement
- 3You guessed it, SingleAndShy.com is another niche website for shy singles. There seem to be more of them coming up lately, and perhaps that's a good thing for all those introverts out there. Boasting over 1,000 members, it lets shy people meet other people with similar personalities without having that initial nerve-wracking first meeting. It's certainly a boon if you're looking to date a shy guy.SingleAndShy.
- 5OkCupid.com has a lot going for it. For one thing, it's always free, and for another, it's been around for a while. It uses an algorithm to match singles based on the answers they give to questions during the sign-up process. Conceivably, if you indicate that you're into shy men, the algorithm will match you accordingly.OkCupid.
- 8Founded by Dr. Neil Clark Warren, a psychologist who specialized in marriage and family counseling, eHarmony.com matches singles based on "29 Dimensions of Compatibility." eHarmony boasts that it is responsible for 4 percent of U.S. marriages as noted in a 2012 Harris Interactive poll and claims to have a diverse membership among whom one is likely to find his or her match.eHarmony.
- 9Like eHarmony, PlentyOfFish, (pof.com) bases its matches off how you answer the questions of its "chemistry test." Its test measures five areas of personality: self-confidence, family orientation, self-control, social dependency/openness, and easy goingness, and then selects matches who most closely align with your personality. We'd imagine that perhaps some shy guys might be put off joining a site that asks them how self-confident they are, but we're including it here for completeness' sake.PlentyOfFish.
- 10Cupid.com is a large dating site that claims to offer a safe and secure place for singles to communicate with each other and, if the chemistry is right, perhaps go on a date or two together. Like eHarmony and Plenty Of Fish, Cupid has you answer some questions to figure out who you are most compatible with, but unique on offer is Wingman Barney, helping you to start chatting with people right away.Cupid.
- 11Datemyschool.com is special in that it only accepts undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni to join its membership. It verifies the credentials of its members, which reduces the potential creep factor involved in online dating. Also, only the people to whom you are matched will see your profile, an additional layer of privacy that introverts might find comforting.Datemyschool.
- 12Another dating site that's based on education, the RightStuffDating.com is a snootier version of Datemyschool. It only accepts members from a select group of schools, for which you must provide proof when you join. It's pricey, depending on where you live, but introverts who fit its eligibility may prefer its closed-off atmosphere to the wide-open feel of other dating sites.Right stuff Dating.
- 13Like other dating sites, Zoosk.com matches people based on its proprietary matching algorithm, called behavioral matching technology. Signing up with Zoosk and browsing for other members is free, but if you want to connect with anyone, you will have to pay a membership fee or pay in Zoosk coins, which are available for purchase. In this way, Zoosk is built upon the microtransaction model, similar to most freemium mobile games.Zoosk.
If you have a smartphone, you could be a swipe away from a date with that shy guy you've been dreaming about.
- 1Siren is a dating app where you browse through other users' answers to pre-determined questions, and you can like or respond to those whose answers resonate the most with you. Since shy/introverted guys have a harder time with small talk, Siren may encourage them to connect with you by nurturing complex discussions rather than empty chit-chat.Siren.Advertisement
- 3Only available for iOS, Hinge is about fostering connections within your friend circles. It gathers data from your Facebook and then serves you prospects based on whom you know. Hinge CEO, Justin Mcleod says that his app encourages you to converse with people rather than swipe and move on to the next person. That and the fact that it's drawing from your existing friend networks might help you find that shy guy who has always liked you but didn't know how to approach you.Hinge.
- 5Anomo offers a way for people to connect anonymously with each other, then reveal more information as they get to know one another. You are in control over how much information about yourself you reveal. The ability to remain completely anonymous has an appeal to privacy-minded introverts, but be warned; anonymity has its risks.Anomo.
- 6A unique dating app, Coffee Meets Bagel offers matches based on interests and serves up a limited number of quality choices to singles each day. It may appeal to shy/introverted men because women outnumber men among users as well as the fact that the initial interaction doesn't require any personal interaction.Coffee Meets Bagel.
- 7Available on Android and iOS, the Match Dating app uses an algorithm to match you with suitable men. It claims that its algorithm is more selective and results in better matches, but who knows? We're sure there's a shy guy or two in there, so why not give it a try?Match Dating.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
We love shy guys because they're so adorably bashful and because when they're into us, they're so earnest about it. Those quiet guys who prefer to take the backseat are often the sweetest and most thoughtful men out there. Here are three tips to keep in mind when pursuing your blushing beau:
- Be prepared to make the first move As you might imagine, shy guys have a tough time approaching women, especially those they fancy a lot. Even in online dating situations, they may be hesitant to message you for fear that you might reject them. So, put on your big girl pants and start the conversation. Your shy guy will appreciate you forever for doing so.
- Be honest This goes for dating anyone, shy or not, but it's worth mentioning here. Men appreciate women who don't play games and speak the truth. So, keep it real.
- Be yourself Even more so than outgoing guys, shy guys favor authenticity over superficiality. Accordingly, don't feel like you have to put up a front to be attractive to these guys; they will appreciate you for you.
Categories : Relationships
Recent edits by: Eng, Kathy McGraw